Our travel expert helps you with a decision about Maldives airport transfer – seaplane or speedboat transfers?
Breezy and beautiful, the Maldives is the epitome of paradise. Comprising of chains of islands, this destination offers true peace and relaxation for those that grace its shores. Getting to the main island of Male is one thing, but what about getting to your private island resort? In this blog our Travelmood travel expert Rachel discusses the Maldives airport transfer – seaplane or speedboat transfers?
If you already know what type of transfer you want to take to your Maldives resort then it is important to note that some resorts are restricted on what type of transfer they use. So, if you hate the idea of taking a seaplane to your holiday base, then make sure that is not the one and only mode of transport to your chosen resort.
For those of you that want to find out more about the Maldives airport transfer – seaplane or speedboat transfer, I will now run through some facts and important things to note about each.
- This is a covered boat that holds about 15 people.
- You will be met at pier side by your Maldives resort representative who will bring your luggage on board, provide you with a lifejacket and cool you down with a cold towel and bottle of water.
- Speedboat transfers generally last between 30 – 50 minutes.
- Speedboats continue to run after dark.
- Some lucky passengers who keep their eyes peeled might spot dolphins alongside them.
- A seaplane holds up to 15 passengers. All seaplanes are operated by Trans Maldivian Airways or Maldivian Air Taxi.
- Seaplanes have pontoons – prepare to take off and land on the water.
- When you arrive into Male you will be met by your resort representative who will take you by bus to the seaplane terminal. This is a 5-10 minute journey.
- Luggage allowance for a seaplane is 20kg. Make sure you keep this in mind. Even if your airline to Male has a higher allowance, seaplanes only allow for 20kg.
- Seaplane transfers do not run after 4:30pm. If your flight arrives into Male after 3:30pm then you will be required to stay in Male that night.
- Your seaplane will drop you off at the private jetty at your resort.
So what would you prefer for your Maldives airport transfer – seaplane or speedboat transfers? Tweet us @Travelmood and let us know!